Bikram Yoga flushes away the waste products, the toxins of all the glands and organs of your body. It provides a natural irrigation of the body through the circulatory system, with the help of the respiratory system. It brings nourishments to every cell of your body so that each one can perform its function and keep your body healthy. Bikram Yoga also employs heat to further that cleaning process: When you sweat, impurities are flushed out of the body through the skin.
Did you know that you need to replenish your electrolytes after class to stay hydrated? Electrolytes are things like sodium, potassium, and magnesium which are lost through sweating. So the more you sweat, the more electrolytes you lose–and we sweat a lot in Bikram Yoga!
Electrolytes can be found naturally in foods (potatoes, bananas etc) or through products like coconut water and Ultima replenisher (we sell both at the studio). It is very important to get the right combination of water and electrolytes to keep from dehydrating.
A few tips to keep stay hydrated:
- Have something to drink when you first get up in the morning.
- Carry a water bottle with you during work hours and when you are away from home for long periods of time.
- Remember to drink before you get thirsty.
- Try to limit caffeinated and sugary beverages. Caffeine acts as a diuretic and can cause you to lose fluids quickly. In addition to having extra calories, the fructose, or natural sugars, in fruit juice can slow your body’s ability to absorb fluids.
- Monitor your fluid intake, factoring in foods. Most of what we eat contains some water, especially fruits and vegetables. Packing ready-to-eat fruits in sealable plastic bags can be a great way to restore fluids and electrolytes.
- Keep a glass, cup or bottle of water next to your bed.
- Learn the signs and symptoms of dehydration (Nausea, headaches, dizziness, muscle cramps and fatigue).
So remember to hydrate well! See you in the hot room.